[Mageia-dev] ANN: Upgrading from Mageia 2 via urpmi

Mika Laitio lamikr at pilppa.org
Sun Dec 16 12:38:11 CET 2012

> This package, when installed will add a new menu option to your
> bootloader. Simply install this package, reboot, select the "Mageia 3
> Upgrade Preparation" entry boot, wait while your FS is converted and
> then perform a urpmi upgrade as you would normally.

Hi, tested this on yesterday with the up to date mga 2 by installing
upgrade prepare rpm and rebooting and selecting the "upgrade to mga3
option" from grup and then adding the cauldron repositories.

Then I started the install with
"urpmi.update -a"
"urpmi --download-all --auto-select"

Install started fine and offered that I have about 2200 rpm's to update.
During the install some package seemed to hang (I don't remember anymore
which one) and I canceled install with ctrl-c and saw message about
error in postinst section.

I run urpmi.update again and then "urpmi auto-select" and somehow
ended up to situation where all my network interfaces are down
and about 900 rpm's fail to install as some of their dependencies are
missing.

I tried to download and copy the missing rpm's with another computer to
usb stick, but usb fails to mount... (I can not see /dev/sdb, etc...
only /dev/sda which is my harddisk)

Questions:

1) If I copy them missing rpm's to device by using the rescuq disc, do I
need to select again the "upgrade to mga3 option when booting to
mandriva" or is it one time operation that has been done in first boot.

2) Is there some trick for getting network up? Now ifconfig command
shows only the "lo" interface.

Mika