[Mageia-dev] [ANN] The RPM Spec Lingo - Call for Contributions

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mageia.org
Tue Dec 18 20:33:24 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:20:52PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> recently, I had to create a .src.rpm for Fedora, and ran into some Mageia RPM
> SPEC paradigms that I was not familiar with, and had to ask on IRC or search
> the web. So I decided to make life easier and create something like to ease
> translating between the distributions: http://hyperpolyglot.org/scripting .
> So see:
>
> * https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia-Mandriva-Fedora-SUSE_RPM_Spec_Lingo
>
> It's currently very much work in progress, and the formatting could use some
> work, but it's a start. Feel free to contribute - Be Bold and edit.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Shlomi Fish
Hi,

Thanks for starting such a page, I think it can be very useful, I just
hope people don’t start to write spec translators and ditch all our
policies or differences in implementation (like filetriggers for
instance)

I don’t have much ideas to complement your work, but for me the most
striking example of our difference is %mkrel, because every spec out
there use it, but I’m not sure about their equivalent in other rpm-based
distributions. It would be great if some kind of standardization could
emerge from this and help reducing the gap between our specs.

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD