[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Michel Catudal michelcatudal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 03:04:55 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-04 13:27, Maurice Batey a écrit :
> On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 06:04:10 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:
>
>> The bootloader installation should be entirely separate from the operating system.
>    Michel, I think to avoid confusion, programs such as XOSL
> (e.g. Extipl, GAG, SBM) are usually referred to as 'boot managers' (and
> usually reside in the MBR) , whereas the system-specific functions such
> as LILO and GRUB are referred to as 'boot loaders', and reside in the
> superblock of the /boot partion of whichever system they belong to.
>    The boot managers then facilitate the selection of whichever system,
> is to be booted by linking to that system's bootloader on its partition.

The diffference between the two is not always that clear. grub can also be seen as a boot manager.

Actually I have xosl residing on a small primary partition about 16k, smallest possible on a 2TB hard disk.
I found this to be perfect in the days of the OS/2 boot manager so I am keeping the same approach with a newer bootloader.
I would use the OS/2 bootloader but it doesn't support newer hard disks.

The idea is that if the MBR is damaged by a linux distribution or OS/2.  I just boot on a floppy and restore the MBR.
Nothing special is needed for the MBR, I just have to set the bootloader partition as active.

Michel

--
For OS/2 and Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal