[Mageia-dev] Grub and Grub2

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Sun Feb 5 15:58:09 CET 2012

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 21:04:55 -0500, Michel Catudal wrote:

> I have xosl residing on a small primary partition about 16k,

  I did look at XOSL before settling with Extipl, but found several
things that put me off:

  (1) It appears to need to occupy a FAT32 (or similar)
partition. (As an extension to what goes in the MBR?)

  (2) One component in the download package is SBM - another Boot
Manager (which I had also tried separately but could not get to execute
on a floppy, for trial purposes). Why is that there?
  It also encourages one to install the XOSL partition manager.

   (3) Although I signed up for the IOSL forum, it seems I would have to
then register with Yahoo to do anything  useful (e.g. ask questions).

All I wanted to do is install XSOL in the MBR and try it, but the doc
keeps talking about 'DOS', and 'FAT32', and LILO!  (I use GRUB as
bootloader), so I abandoned it in favour of Extipl - though GAG has a
nice user interface.

--
/\/\aurice