[Mageia-dev] Backports (WAS: Beta 1 isos)

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Tue Feb 14 11:10:11 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:48:24AM +0100, Juergen wrote in
<4F3A2DE8.1020003 at unige.ch>:
>Sorry, I am yet another apprentice, and I started to listen to this
>list only quite recently. All I know is that backports have been an
>open issue. What document does your quote refer to?
>
>And: is proposing a new upstream release - conceptually - really a backport?

Hi Juergen,

In short the policy is that once we have a release, we don't provide
updated packages other than bugfixes. New major versions can be released
as a backport (once these repositories become available).

Exceptions to this policy should be few and can be for security fixes
which can't easily be applied to the version in stable, or for client
applications which are expected to be talking a certain protocol by online
servers.

I hope this clarifies and properly reflects our policy in a few lines.

Cheers,

Remco