[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release xdm-1.1.11-3.mga2

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 29 22:06:31 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Michael Scherer at 29/02/12 17:59 did gyre and gimble:
> Le mercredi 29 février 2012 à 18:44 +0100, Oliver Burger a écrit :
>>>
>>> This is wrong IMHO as the only packages that requires or suggest dm are:
>>> - xguest
>>> - task-xfce-minimal
>>>
>>> xguest didn't work with xdm and task-xfce-minimal had better require the dm it
>>> wants like task-gnome&  task-kde do
>>>
>>> So I think this should be reverted. Let's fix task-xfce-minimal instead.
>>
>> Which brings back the question, which of our dms should provide dm?
>
> None ?
>
> After all, if dm is used for xguest, the provides used should reflect
> that.
> So what is it used for, except asking question to users ( and most that
> would not care or not know what it mean ) ?

Just as a comment, fedora uses a virtual provides for display managers
in it's prefdm script. We don't use that, but it's maybe worth keeping
for that reason?

e.g. see the rpm bits here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/git/initscripts/tree/prefdm

Like I say, our prefdm is not using this approach, and in my opinion, dm
packages should drop a config file in e.g. /etc/X11/dm.d/ or similar and
we can use that when starting X stuff rather than hardcoding it all in
prefdm...