[Mageia-dev] Significant decrease of installed packages for a minimal installation

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 3 15:40:56 CET 2012

2012/1/2 Païou <paiiou at free.fr>:
> Hello, all
>
> I just did a minimal installation of Mageia 1 (with updates)
> (custom desktop, in the next window I uncheck all package groups,
>  in the next window I check with X).
> Everything is going very well.
>
> And I have the pleasant surprise that, thanks to the updates,
> the number of installed packages from 732 to 636.
> That's what I wanted for a long time.
>
> I compared the lists of packages and found that kdm is replaced by slim.
> Being a naturally curious, I would like to know what causes this substitution,
> and in general, causing the decrease of packages.bassies

Can't confirm this. I just did the same on a netbook.
Custom desktop, unchecked all groups, minimal installation with X
Ran updates, uninstalled orphans.

Result: 756 packages, kdm installed, slim not installed.
As kdm takes some dependencies with it, this change to slim is significant.

Leaves the question: why do we see a different result? A small
difference in the package number is surely caused by different
hardware configuration, but not a difference of 100 packages. Also
hardware configuration can not cause the difference concerning
kdm/slim.

--
wobo