[Mageia-dev] gma500 display driver problem with Mageia 2 alpha

Mika Laitio lamikr at pilppa.org
Mon Jan 2 13:21:24 CET 2012

Hi

I got couple of years old Nokia booklet which has gma500 gpu and
1280x768 panel. I installed i586 version of Mageia 2 alpha2.
Installation went fine but on next reboot the ui failed to show up.

I went to drakconf console and there the display drake identified the
card ok and suggested using "Poulsbo US15W (gma500)" driver.
That will install dkms-psb module that will howeve fail to load with 3.0
kernels.

If I force the vesa mode in drakconf, then the display works ok in
1280x768 mode. (Thought not the world fastest display).

Another option is to use fbdev drivers that to my understand uses
new psb_gfx module that is available for 3.2 kernels.
(/lib/modules/3.2.0-desktop586-0.rc7.2.mga2/kernel/drivers/staging/gma500/psb_gfx.ko.gz
on latest mageia devel kernel)

With the fbdev kernel, I could however select the 800x600 resolution in
maximum with drakconf. Any idea what should be changed in drakconf
to enable the psb_gfx/fbdev driver by default with gma500 and to allow
to select higher resolution like 1280x768?

At the moment I have updated all packages to latest versions in devel
repositories.

# lsmod | grep psb_gfx
psb_gfx               210260  0
drm_kms_helper         32592  1 psb_gfx
drm                   195723  2 psb_gfx,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit           13080  1 psb_gfx
i2c_core               29808  6
videodev,psb_gfx,i2c_isch,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
video                  18641  2 psb_gfx,poulsbo

Mika