[Mageia-dev] gma500 display driver problem with Mageia 2 alpha

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Wed Jan 4 16:21:38 CET 2012

Am 02.01.2012 13:21, schrieb Mika Laitio:
> Hi
>
> I got couple of years old Nokia booklet which has gma500 gpu and 1280x768
> panel. I installed i586 version of Mageia 2 alpha2. Installation went fine
> but on next reboot the ui failed to show up.
>
> I went to drakconf console and there the display drake identified the card ok
> and suggested using "Poulsbo US15W (gma500)" driver.
> That will install dkms-psb module that will howeve fail to load with 3.0
> kernels.
>
> If I force the vesa mode in drakconf, then the display works ok in 1280x768
> mode. (Thought not the world fastest display).
>
> Another option is to use fbdev drivers that to my understand uses
> new psb_gfx module that is available for 3.2 kernels.
> (/lib/modules/3.2.0-desktop586-0.rc7.2.mga2/kernel/drivers/staging/gma500/psb_gfx.ko.gz
> on latest mageia devel kernel)
>
> With the fbdev kernel, I could however select the 800x600 resolution in
> maximum with drakconf. Any idea what should be changed in drakconf
> to enable the psb_gfx/fbdev driver by default with gma500 and to allow
> to select higher resolution like 1280x768?
Sorry, i don't have a GMA500 aka Poulsbo, but from what i remember investigating
for alternatives to this driver (which is prone to breakage due to kernel updates)
maybe you want to have a look at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo
and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Poulsbo#Kernel.27s_psb-gfx_module