[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Cinnamon for Mageia

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jan 4 20:50:57 CET 2012

Le mercredi 04 janvier 2012 à 20:21 +0100, bernd a écrit :
> As you know, Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome-Shell with the look & feel &
> workflow of Gnome2, developed and maintained by Clement Lefebvre
> "Clem" from Linux-Mint.
>
> At the moment, already rpms and debs for other distributions like
> Ubuntu,
> Fedora, Arch and OpenSuse are built:
> http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61
>
> In my opinion, Cinnamon will be a sustainable alternative for
> ex-Gnome2-users,
> who don't like the "smartphone-look" of Gnome3

It will be sustainable when it will have been sustained a bit, don't you
think ? ( because mint already announced first to add js extension to
gnome shell, then to fork gnome 2, then to develop a new DE , so maybe
they will do another thing next week ).

( and personally, I do have both a smartphone and gnome 3, and I wonder
if people who say there is a smartphone look to gnome 3 have a
smartphone, cause mine do not really look like gnome 3 )

I do not have much trust in linuxmint code ( there is several unfixed
serious flaw in their python tools, like
https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py#L1444 or
https://github.com/linuxmint/mintnanny/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintNanny/mintNanny.py#L71
 ), but if someone do proper packages ( and if they do not open hole
like these one ), why not.

--
Michael Scherer