[Mageia-dev] Adding additional provides to php database modules

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 21:12:09 CET 2012

Le 04/01/2012 20:08, Oliver Burger a écrit :
>> The only problem here is that, pdo aside, there is no unified database
>> interface in php. Some applications may have explicit support for some
>> databases, this doesn't mean they have generic support for any database.
>> You're likely to quickly run into applications able to work with mysql,
>> postgresql or sqlite, and those able to work with just mysql or
>> postgresql. In theory, you'll end up with as much virtual package as
>> potential combination.
> I see the problem. So it would be actually better for each application like
> drupal and mediawiki to have its own virtual provides for the database
> packages (like drupal already does).
<pedantism>
"virtual provides" doesn't means anything, because there isn't any
"physical provides". You're speaking of a virtual package here.
</pedantism>

I just had a look at the solution implemented in drupal package. The
drupal-mysql and drupal-postgresql packages seems wrong, because they
enforces a dependency against a local database, whereas it should only
requires the correct pdo package. This small issue aside, the whole idea
seems quite overkill for me: it is really useful to add 3 empty packages
just to handle this interactively, whereas documenting the issue would
be as much efficient ?

BTW, the PDO case is precisely the one for which the package-specific
solution is not needed: any PDO compliant database should work, as PDO
is an abstraction layer :)
--
BOFH excuse #295:

The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.