[Mageia-dev] gma500 display driver problem with Mageia 2 alpha

Mika Laitio lamikr at pilppa.org
Sun Jan 8 22:54:37 CET 2012

> Sorry, i don't have a GMA500 aka Poulsbo, but from what i remember investigating
> for alternatives to this driver (which is prone to breakage due to kernel updates)
> maybe you want to have a look at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo
> and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Poulsbo#Kernel.27s_psb-gfx_module

Yes, I have read those pages and both of them confirm that the original
psb driver that the drakconf try to install as a DKMS module for gma500
will not work with 3.0 kernel coming with Mageia 2.0 alpha1.
(compilation of dkms module will fail)

So there would now be need for changing the drakconf to use by default
some other driver. The easiest candidate would propably be now the
psb_gfx module that comes already as a module in mageia 3.0 kernels.

I think I am already using this new "psb_gfx" driver as I selected the
fbdev driver in the drakconf. (Instead of selecting the default driver
suggested that would have installed the psb dkms module and failed).

This psb_gfx driver works for me, but at the moment I only have 800x600
resolution instead of the 1280x720.

Mika