[Mageia-dev] mentors + apprentices

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Jan 9 07:04:47 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

We have a newly qualified packager, kamil, who is already maintaining over 160
packages.  He is largely responsible for the considerabe decrease in
unmaintained packages in the last few days, although many other packagers have
contributed.

We have another Mandriva packager who has joined our packaging team, nelg (Glen
Ogilvie), and is bringing himself up to date for Mageia with jquelin.

Also note that philippem (Philippe Makowski) has just posted a message inviting
potential apprentices to contact him for mentoring.
Any other mentors who feel that they can take on another apprentice are invited
to post to this thread.

Currently we have 4 apprentice candidates looking for a mentor.

am2605 (Andrew Myers), has been waiting now about 5 weeks.
He is a longtime Fedora, a web developer, interested in packaging related to
Gnome, Java, Eclipse among others, teaching himself Mageia packaging basics.

cddesjar (Christopher Desjardins), has been waiting about 3 weeks.
He has basic .deb and .rpm packaging experience, including doing texworks and
jags on Mageia for himself.  Would like to maintain these and R-base.

dglent (Dimitrios Glentadakis), had been waiting about a week.
He has experience packaging in his personal repos (mageia-gr.org and previously
mandrivalinux.gr) with applications he uses, which he would like to package for
Mageia repos.  He speaks French and English.

cyprix (Sam Bailey)
He is a long time Mandriva then Mageia user, who runs hosting servers in his
work, and is interested in packaging programs for hosting and web-app services.

Note that those who have been waiting the longest are at the top of the list.

You can find more details at:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager#Packager_apprentice_candidates

Mentors, let me know who you take on, and I'll update the tables for you.

Thanks :-)

----

Anyone else looking for a mentor, let me know so I can add your name as an
apprentice candidate -- or you can do it yourself.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager#Packager_apprentice_candidates

See also the previous sections, on becoming a Mageia packager :
https://wiki.mageia.org/mw-en/index.php?title=Becoming_a_Mageia_Packager&action=submit#What_is_needed_to_become_a_Mageia_packager

To find a mentor, it helps to also post to this list (mageia-dev), or hang out
on IRC at freenode #mageia-mentoring.
Don't forget that if you contact a mentor directly, they know that you are
actively interested.

Regards :-)

--
André
(Packager mentoring program coordinator)