[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed Jan 11 20:50:32 CET 2012

Le mercredi 11 janvier 2012 à 16:09 +0100, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:28:15 -0600
> Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz
> <dlucio at okay.com.mx> wrote:
> >
> > You dont get me,
> >
> > I mean, stop asking updates for mageia 1 just because there is another
> > newversion.
>
> Uh.
> As a Mageia user I would expect Mageia to package significant *bugfix
> releases* and ship them in the updates for the stable distro.
>
> For example, it would be nice if an up-to-date Mageia 1 system had
> Python 2.7.2 rather than Python 2.7.1 (not a deal-breaker, of course,
> but nice). There's more than a hundred bug fixes between the two
> versions and I don't expect Mageia to have independently fixed many of
> these bugs.
>
> If you think shipping bugfixes isn't part of the QA for a stable version
> then I'm not sure what said QA should be (apart from updating Firefox
> to new major versions that is :-)).

The policy ( as I remember when we discussed on this ml ) would allow to
ship it, the specific case that I had in mind was postgresql, because it
has a strict policy on backporting fixes, and regression testing, but
python would fit too.

However, my current workload and priority list do not place "doing a
python update" on the top of the list. As you say, that's not a deal
breaker, so I prefer to focus on what would be more important or urgent
( like for example, fixing servers and broken raid array ).

--
Michael Scherer