[Mageia-dev] Existing Cauldron VM users willing to test gnome-boxes?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jan 13 10:47:39 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:14:46PM -0500, Scott Chevalley wrote:
> I'm using KVM for a windows 7 vm and I just tried to use gnome-boxes to create,
> I guess, a vm for a drbl live cd and it created it but when I launch it the app
> just shows a black screen and doesn't do anything.

Thanks for testing!

I'm getting the same black screen. So it seems it doesn't work anyone :-(

Did you launch it from the terminal? Any debug output?

> There's not much documentation so I'm not sure exactly what's supposed to happen
> versus what is happening.

You should be seeing the VM. It uses something new called 'splice'. I
think that is where the error lies. The Fedora version of qemu 0.15 had
some patches which they dropped in qemu 1.0. I'm hoping qemu 1.0 solves
the issues, but wasn't able to compile it yesterday.

"Splice" is pretty nice as you can e.g. share your USB somehow between
the host and the VM (gnome-boxes has a checkbox, but no clue about the
technical details).

> I'll be happy to do some more testing if you can give me some pointers as to
> what I'm looking for.

The debug output from the terminal would be nice, as well as
$HOME/.libvirt/qemu/log/*.

I really want to get this working before the next Mageia testversion is
released..

--
Regards,
Olav