[Mageia-dev] time between install and menu update

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Jul 9 05:22:36 CEST 2012

Simple w a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> After running Mageia and a debian based distro Linuxmint, one thing
> appeared strange, after installing a rpm (that included .desktop
> files) the menu entry didnt appeared after the rpm installation, it
> takes about 10 seconds after the rpm install to have the new entries
> in the kde panel menu (or kmenu), and in the debian based distro the
> time between the package install and having the entries listed in
> kmenu was almost instant.
>
> Is this a problem thats only related with rpm packagement or could it
> be improved so that the menus could appear after the install in kmenu
> (without having to wait about 10 seconds)?
>
> regards,
> Pedro

I hadn't noticed that, but I'll look next time I install something.
It could be unrelated to rpm, but more how xdg is implemented in Mageia
vs Mint.
(Since both would use xdg with .desktop files.)
Mageia uses the same method with menus as Mandriva did, which
accommodates both Gnome (which I use) and KDE.  That could account for
the delay.
At least a 10-second delay isn't a major problem.

Regards :)

--
André