[Mageia-dev] Systemd improvement

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 24 11:18:40 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 24/07/12 10:02 did gyre and gimble:
> I have some minor issues with systemd so I report it in case some
> improvment could be done:
>
> 1) The timeout is very long when the system failed to ask the passphrase
> for encrypted partition, os it is very long to reach any console (this
> happend only when there is a problem)
>
> 2) When everything work fine, the timeout occur if the passphrase for
> encrypted partition is not enter early enough: I power up my laptop, do
> something else, come back and it report the boot has failed, surprising!

So it's both too long and too short :)

I'm not sure how to deal with this, but I would suggest that we need to
do something a bit more creative to deal with your particular use case.

For yourself, it's not a "critical" filesystem - e.g. it's not /usr or
similar, but /home.

The full boot (with perhaps a slight lack of customisation (e.g. last
session used in the DM)  can happen happily without your /home.

So I think it's really something that has to be marked as nofail or
noauto in the fstab or as some kind of automount, which would then allow
the DM to query you for your encrypted password rather than plymouth.
This would seem like a more sensible structure overall.

> 3) the boot process hang/stop/wait if my wireless card is down (using
> the hardware switch on the side of my laptop). This step need just one
> second when the card is on, even it does not connect to any network.

If you have any NFS (or other network mounts) mounts that are NOT marked
with nofail, then we consider them to be "critical" filesystems. If
these filesystems are NOT needed for boot, then just mark them as
"nofail" and they will still be mounted but your DM/logins will not be
delayed while waiting for the network.

HTHs.