[Mageia-dev] My feeeling about the rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir) dependency

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 27 12:30:52 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Balcaen John at 27/07/12 11:13 did gyre and gimble:
> Le jeudi 26 juillet 2012 11:26:05 Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>> 'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 26/07/12 08:05 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I do think the way we enforce the need of migrate to /usr fs is just an
>>> abuse of rpm.
>>>
>>> By using the a rpmlib() dependency we create in fact this dependency
>>> tree:
>>> filesystem => rpm with X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir patch => check fs
>>> whereas we want:
>>> filesystem => check fs
>>>
>>> THere another to perform the check w/o needing patch in rpm (so w/o
>>> needing a specific rpm first): using pre script.
>>>
>>> If the %pre script failed rpm will refuse to install the rpm, so
>>> something like that:
>>>
>>> export LC_ALL=C
>>>
>>> [ "`stat /bin -c %F`" == 'symbolic link' ] || exit 1
>>>
>>> or the same using lua.
>>
>> This is an interesting idea, but I wonder why the redhat guys didn't do
>> it that way so I'll discuss it with them when I get a chance.
>>
>> I'm also not sure where the circular dep is (I can't see why filesystem
>> has to be upgraded to install the newer rpm: but I'll have to do some
>> tests next week in a VM to see if it comes to light).
> As said on irc (#mageia-kde)  i've got that when i was upgrading on cauldron :
>
> rpm -qp --requires lib64db5.2-5.2.42-2.mga3.x86_64.rpm
> filesystem >= 2.1.9-18
> rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
> rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
> libc.so.6()(64bit)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.15)(64bit)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64bit)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
> libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)(64bit)
> rtld(GNU_HASH)
> rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1
>
> Where lib64db5.2 is required by rpm (lib64rpm3) to get installed, but
> filesystem can't be installed since rpm was not updated to provide this
> filesystem :)

Ahh yes, that would do it right enough :p

We can maybe relax the filesystem requirement here if that solves the
problem, but as Nanar pointed out there could easily be another package
somewhere in the transaction that will cause problems.

Will certainly ask Kay about the lua %pre suggestion, but I'm not really
able to do much until mid-next week.