[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 specifications

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Jun 5 16:20:53 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 02:53:50PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 05/06/12 14:14 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:02:35AM +0200, Anne Nicolas wrote:
> >> ping all. Very few proposals for now. Please take some time to fill
> >> it, it's important for coming release
> >
> > Added https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:KillSysvinit
> >
> > I thought killing sysvinit was already agreed upon, so not sure a
> > feature page is needed.
>
> Yeah I think this is agreed upon and I'm pretty happy with the response
> so far regarding systemd in mga2 which gives me even more confidence
> overall.
>
> However, having a feature page is still good from a documentation of the
> plan perspective when people question it in 4 months time!

I guess it is handy to track the big changes and really ensure everyones
aware with the change. I am planning to make GNOME depend on systemd,
not sure if that should be another feature or not.

This I really want to add:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ckremoval
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering

There is also stuff we can steal from Fedora. Stuff that I found
interesting:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RealHotspot
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReworkPackageGroups
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RPM4.10
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsermodeMigration

Possibly controversial:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

Also, with latest NetworkManager, it seems you can do pretty advanced
network configurations (lacks UI). The UI is planned for GNOME 3.6.
However, seems that loads of Mageia users have issues with
NetworkManager, so not sure what to do. Perhaps safer to wait a year and
hope that other distributions solve the bugs?

--
Regards,
Olav