[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 specifications

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 5 17:10:57 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 05/06/12 15:20 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 02:53:50PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 05/06/12 14:14 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> Added https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:KillSysvinit
>>>
>>> I thought killing sysvinit was already agreed upon, so not sure a
>>> feature page is needed.
>>
>> Yeah I think this is agreed upon and I'm pretty happy with the response
>> so far regarding systemd in mga2 which gives me even more confidence
>> overall.
>>
>> However, having a feature page is still good from a documentation of the
>> plan perspective when people question it in 4 months time!
>
> I guess it is handy to track the big changes and really ensure everyones
> aware with the change. I am planning to make GNOME depend on systemd,
> not sure if that should be another feature or not.

I don't think it will need to be a separate feature due to fact that
"booting" will likely depend on systemd anyway! If there is a reprieve
for sysvinit in mga3 I think it's perfectly reasonable to depend on
systemd for Gnome anyway without the need for a "Feature" per-se.

> This I really want to add:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ckremoval

Yup +1 on that. Tho' I think it'll happen anyway even if we don't detail
it as a feature specifically.

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering

Yup I think TV mentioned that the other day. Again I think this will
come semi-automatically anyway without the need for a feature page.

> There is also stuff we can steal from Fedora. Stuff that I found
> interesting:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RealHotspot

Yeah that would be nice.

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs

Yup I like that one too. Others disagree, but it's just a default and
it's easy to disable. Probably worth a feature wiki page.

> Possibly controversial:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

I already wrote that one up:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:UsrMove

Feel free to flesh it out, but I mostly just referenced the fedora page.
No point in massive copy+paste IMO.

> Also, with latest NetworkManager, it seems you can do pretty advanced
> network configurations (lacks UI). The UI is planned for GNOME 3.6.
> However, seems that loads of Mageia users have issues with
> NetworkManager, so not sure what to do. Perhaps safer to wait a year and
> hope that other distributions solve the bugs?

Maybe. I've had good experience with NM tho'. Worked well for me with
wired, wireless and 3G networks via a dongle when I tried. All pretty
painless.