[Mageia-dev] Proposed Feature:UiAbstraction4mcc

Steven Tucker tuxta2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:35:41 CEST 2012

On 13/06/12 22:06, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Le 13/06/2012 13:59, Steven Tucker a écrit :
>> Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that we port Yast to Mageia, I am
>> suggesting we use its Ui abstraction only. I use Mageia over openSuse
>> for many reasons, but I do admire how well Yast works, and would love to
>> see similar in Mageia. Perhaps we could start planning the next
>> generation of MCC ??
> I guess you're volonteer to do the porting work, and to maintain the
> tools thereafter. Otherwise, that's moot.
>
> In ten years of contribution to mandrake/mandriva/mageia, I've seen
> several similar proposals to rewrite those tools for "better graphical
> consistency with my prefered desktop (tm)" or "better maintainability
> unsing more adapted languages (c)". Unfortunatly, the level of actual
> contributions to the code to reach those marvelous goals barely
> reached the verbosity of the discussion on the mailing-list...

Yeah I totally understand that attitude.
I was in two minds about even suggesting it, but yes I would be part of
the effort, but no I can't do it all on my own.
My other option was to say nothing and just start doing some work and if
I got far enough then suggest it. Perhaps that is the better approach.

This proposal may be a bit different to the several others you have seen
in that a lot of the heavy lifting has already been done. The Ui layer
is provided by libYui and friends, and the logic is already there in
mcc. With the perl bindings to libYui the effort is no where near as
large as a rewrite, which I imagine the several other proposals were. I
would prefer it all to be written in C++, but that would be more work
than adapting the current perl code, so you see it's not just pie in the
sky, I have actually put some thought into it.

If no one else can see the benefit, or care to be involved, then I'll
just make an external project and see where it goes.

And hey, with your response, it made the mailing list :-P