[Mageia-dev] gstreamer0.10-faac - package request

Philippe DIDIER philippedidier at laposte.net
Mon Jun 18 13:33:08 CEST 2012

Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am 18.06.2012 11:52, schrieb Simple w:
>>
>> faac
>>
>> couldnt exist in non-free repository?
> No, the problem with faac is that it contains nonfree parts and is
> tainted. So it's a no-go currently.
>
>> I see that these packages for example in Fedora they exist in Rpm
>> Fusion http://rpmfusion.org/
>> Seams to be a repository for packages with license "issues".
> rpmfusion is no official fedora repository, it's a third-party-repo
> without any official connection to the fedora project.
>
> Oliver

Every distribution has (or had) this kind of non official but well known
"third-party" repo ...
Debian multimedia for Debian
rpmfusion for Fedora
packman for openSUSE
plf for Mandriva
etc...
All of them provide faac

Mageia chooses to clearly provide the problematic packages in 2 special
repos : non-free & tainted (letting mirror administrators include or not
these repos to respect their own local law )
Letting users choose to use or not these repos and install the licensed
or patented programs or non-free drivers or microcodes or downloaders
(for skype or adobe)
more simple indeed !

but faac is a platypus (mammalian laying eggs) : both non-free and
tainted !!!
it needs a special repo ... same for the programs built with it...

3 ways :
1)
Mageia creates an official non-free-tainted repo with a special suffix
(I proposed long time ago "twisted" suffix so that we may have for
instance :
vlc-x.y.z.mga2 in core repo,
vlc-x.y.z.mga2.tainted in tainted repo,
and vlc-x.y.z-maga2.twisted in non-free-tainted repo

allowing to simply "update" from core to tainted
or to "update" from core or tainted to twisted

2)
We hope that a third-party repo is created by unofficial dev but there
are risks of bad compatibility (remember Thac's or MIB for Mandrake and
Mandriva)

3)
some Mageia dev create themselves an unofficial third party repo (same
way as plf...)

NB : all the spec files, ( for vlc, gstreamer, mplayer-mencoder,
etc...) inherited from mandriva-plf contains an option to validate a
build with faac ... just a # prevent this kind of build...

You are allowed to build your own rpms, but it's not very user friendly
and not easy for a beginner !!!