[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 00:14:50 CEST 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:11:58 -0400, AL13N <alien at rmail.be> wrote:

> ok, i guess when people said, supported, i immediately assumed full support.
> that kind of misled me.

My understanding, is that backports will have minimal testing.

We ensure the backport will install, on a system that currently
only has release + updates, and that the basic functions of the
package work, where it's possible for us to test.

We cannot possibly test every possible combination of selected
backports, and will not attempt to.

What I don't want to see, which I did with Mandriva backports,
is cases where unsigned rpm packages were in the repositories,
or installation required the use of --allow-nodeps or --allow-force,
due to file conflicts with release or updates packages.  Those
problems were rare, but often enough, that I wouldn't let the end
users I support install backports themselves.

Regards, Dave Hodgins