[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 feature proposals review

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Thu Jun 28 13:29:12 CEST 2012

> On Wednesday 27 June 2012 20:37, AL13N wrote:
>> if RH and Canonical both had worked together with some independant
>> entity
>> (like cacert.org ) it could've been handled alot better.
>
> RedHat explored that idea and turned it down, because no one was viling to
> do it, and doing it them selves was hugely expensive.
>
> http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html
> ===
> "An alternative was producing some sort of overall Linux key. It turns out
> that this is also difficult, since it would mean finding an entity who was
> willing to take responsibility for managing signing or key distribution.
> That means having the ability to keep the root key absolutely secure and
> perform adequate validation of people asking for signing. That's
> expensive. Like millions of dollars expensive. It would also take a lot of
> time to set up, and that's not really time we had. And, finally, nobody
> was jumping at the opportunity to volunteer. So no generic Linux key."
> ===

I've read this too, that's why i said it. But that's exactly it, before
this was sent out, there is no mention anywhere of plan or request for
help anywhere...

It would have been better if they had stated their plans and requested
assistance and collaborate with other distros at the very least.

But, they kept everything under wraps, and "noone presented itself" even
though they didn't _really_ ask.

As i said, if all the major distro players had come together with this
problem and asked organizations who have such experience (==> cacert.org),
it would've been a different picture.

I call bullshit, lack of openness and corporate competitivity.