[Mageia-dev] NVidia fallback to Nouveau after latest Kernel updates

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 3 00:38:30 CET 2012

2012/3/3 Barry Jackson <zen25000 at zen.co.uk>:
> On 02/03/12 16:53, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>
>> 2012/3/2 Wolfgang Bornath<molch.b at googlemail.com>:
>>>
>>> whould be fixed with coming updates.
>>

>> should be fixed....
>> Sorry.
>>
> Seems this was not the problem for you, but my FX series card has had no
> nvidia available since x11 was updated before Christmas.
> I think I need a new graphic card :(

Well, I don't know, but after last update tonight (mirror sync status
23:01 Paris time) the complete system which was working fine is now
hosed anyway.

1. Nouveau driver still there (although I tried with XFdrake to get
the nvidia re-installed), but that did not make my system unusable
before
2. wifi connection totally lost (not possible to get a connection,
whichever way I tried)
3. After system start the system now displays a message that it can
not start Gnome 3 because my graphic system is possibly not able to
run in normal Gnome 3, so it starts in a somehow "compatibility mode".
/etc/X11/xorg.conf shows that the nouveau driver is working, which
never had problems with Gnome 3.
4. I switched to tty2, and was presented with my keyboard now writing
in black! Trying to write 'asdf' does not show any character but
hitting enter returns 'asdf: command not found"

Points 2, 3, 4 occurred at reboot after the update.
I'll call it a day...

--
wobo