[Mageia-dev] NVidia fallback to Nouveau after latest Kernel updates

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 3 14:29:38 CET 2012

2012/3/3 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> 2012/3/3 Barry Jackson <zen25000 at zen.co.uk>:

>>> should be fixed....
>>> Sorry.
>>>
>> Seems this was not the problem for you, but my FX series card has had no
>> nvidia available since x11 was updated before Christmas.
>> I think I need a new graphic card :(
>
> Well, I don't know, but after last update tonight (mirror sync status
> 23:01 Paris time) the complete system which was working fine is now
> hosed anyway.
>
> 1. Nouveau driver still there (although I tried with XFdrake to get
> the nvidia re-installed), but that did not make my system unusable
> before
> 2. wifi connection totally lost (not possible to get a connection,
> whichever way I tried)
> 3. After system start the system now displays a message that it can
> not start Gnome 3 because my graphic system is possibly not able to
> run in normal Gnome 3, so it starts in a somehow "compatibility mode".
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf shows that the nouveau driver is working, which
> never had problems with Gnome 3.
> 4. I switched to tty2, and was presented with my keyboard now writing
> in black! Trying to write 'asdf' does not show any character but
> hitting enter returns 'asdf: command not found"
>
> Points 2, 3, 4 occurred at reboot after the update.
> I'll call it a day...

After todays updates the issues are resolved:

1. After reconfiguring X and reboot the proprietary driver was
accepted and Gnome 3 started without problems
2. After removing all net connections and recreating wlan0 (in MCC
without enabling networkmanager) wifi is working again
3. Input on ttys is back to white on black

--
wobo