[Mageia-dev] Versions freeze

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Sat Mar 3 17:42:42 CET 2012

On Saturday 03 March 2012 10:42, Michael Scherer wrote:
> We reminded there is version freeze coming during meetings

Some of us can't attend these IRC-meetings at the current scheduled time.

> We gave the list of date in advance

That is not a freeze Reminder.

> and a link to the planning in every mail of announce,

That is not a freeze reminder.
Besides, I don't remember seeing any version freeze announces untill after this thread came, saying it should be announced in advance.

> as well in blog posts and forums post.

Many of us don't read blogs and forums.
Besides, I was once told or read somewhere that developers and packagers should follow /this/ list in order to receive important notices and follow the development process. Not to read a blog and attend the forums.

> We have a calendar where the freeze was given.

That is a schedule, not a freeze reminder.

> And I expect people to either be experienced packager ( ie who have
> already done 1 release and so know the rules ), or to be new packagers
> with a experienced packager ( ie mentor ) who should have explained the
> release cycle.

Knowing the cycle is not a freeze reminder.

> So if people have missed the whole plan, there is a problem that we need
> to fix, and the first step would be to collect reasons why they did
> missed it, not nag more everybody on every possible channels.

You miss my whole point.
I am talking about one -1- reminder to the list when the Version freeze is about to happen. Not that it is scheduled to occur in two months.

You need to remember that we are flawed human beeings. And this may come as a surprise for some, but human beeings happens to have a tendency to forget things. Even important things. That is why all kinds of reminders and reminder related services exists.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324