[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 6 14:33:58 CET 2012

On 03/06/2012 08:23 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 06/03/12 12:38 did gyre and gimble:
>> * Colin Guthrie (mageia at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 06/03/12 09:24 did gyre and gimble:

>>> No text terminal at all? Not on tty2 or 3?
>> Indeed, alt + F2 show the login prompt. But before I pressed alt + F2 ps
>> was not showing any "*getty" program, a bit confusing, especially since
>> there is nothing on first console.

There has been a lot of discussion about this, and I'd just like some
clarification of how the folks implementing thought it was supposed to
turn out.

My understanding was that the DM was to start on tty1, and some lower
subset of the ttys, say 2-6 or 7, was supposed to be reserved for
alternate graphical logins, but that console (getty) ttys would still be
available on the higher ttys.  Maybe not as easy to find, but more
consistent with current usage.

I'm seeing what Olivier is seeing (although this is a desktop system and
not a minimal system).  In my primary desktop, I can hit CTRL-ALT-Fn for
n = 1 to 12, and I get no response at all.  It just stays on the same
desktop.

Bug or feature ?