[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 6 14:42:54 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 06/03/12 13:33 did gyre and gimble:
> There has been a lot of discussion about this, and I'd just like some
> clarification of how the folks implementing thought it was supposed to
> turn out.
>
> My understanding was that the DM was to start on tty1, and some lower
> subset of the ttys, say 2-6 or 7, was supposed to be reserved for
> alternate graphical logins, but that console (getty) ttys would still be
> available on the higher ttys.  Maybe not as easy to find, but more
> consistent with current usage.

This would still be my preference, but critically it would depend on the
current target.

If you are booting to graphical.target then some subset of the lower
ttys would automatically start X+dm on that tty when you switch to it,
but if you boot to multi-user.target it would show you getty.

Thus server installs would be no different to how they've been for years
(which hopefully addresses most of the greybeard complaint) and for
users who don't know what the heck a console login is, they will
hopefully be presented with nice, user friendly login prompts. Everyone
is a winner.

> I'm seeing what Olivier is seeing (although this is a desktop system and
> not a minimal system).  In my primary desktop, I can hit CTRL-ALT-Fn for
> n = 1 to 12, and I get no response at all.  It just stays on the same
> desktop.

Not sure about that one. Smells like some other bug if it doesn't move.
Has your keyboard got a special "fn" key that disables the function
keys? Mine does.