[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 6 15:10:13 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Frank Griffin at 06/03/12 13:56 did gyre and gimble:
> On 03/06/2012 08:42 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> If you are booting to graphical.target then some subset of the lower
>> ttys would automatically start X+dm on that tty when you switch to it,
>> but if you boot to multi-user.target it would show you getty.
>
> By "multi-user target" do you mean level 3 ?

Yes. Sorry I tried to use both terms together most of the time (to get
the terminology solidified in peoples minds) but I guess I missed one).

>> Thus server installs would be no different to how they've been for
>> years (which hopefully addresses most of the greybeard complaint) and
>> for users who don't know what the heck a console login is, they will
>> hopefully be presented with nice, user friendly login prompts.
>> Everyone is a winner.
>>> I'm seeing what Olivier is seeing (although this is a desktop system and
>>> not a minimal system).  In my primary desktop, I can hit CTRL-ALT-Fn for
>>> n = 1 to 12, and I get no response at all.  It just stays on the same
>>> desktop.
>> Not sure about that one. Smells like some other bug if it doesn't move.
>> Has your keyboard got a special "fn" key that disables the function
>> keys? Mine does.
>
> Mine does too (bloody Logitech), but Fn keys are enabled., so it's not
> that.  Is there perhaps something I don't have installed that enables
> X+dm restart and autovt ?  If autovt were not present or disabled, that
> might explain why a second X+dm doesn't start (no available vt) ?

Sorry, I was unclear in my last email.

I've not enabled the ability to start a second X+DM yet (it needs
changes to the DM's themselves which I've not looked at - tho' it should
be pretty simple) such that you can specify the vt to use when they are
started.

Then I'd need to adjust autovt to start a wrapper script that starts
either getty or X+DM as appropriate.

So this isn't in place yet, but I do still think it's the way forward.
Should be possible to get it done I think.