[Mageia-dev] Minimum install of cauldron don't start console

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 6 14:56:45 CET 2012

On 03/06/2012 08:42 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> If you are booting to graphical.target then some subset of the lower
> ttys would automatically start X+dm on that tty when you switch to it,
> but if you boot to multi-user.target it would show you getty.

By "multi-user target" do you mean level 3 ?

> Thus server installs would be no different to how they've been for
> years (which hopefully addresses most of the greybeard complaint) and
> for users who don't know what the heck a console login is, they will
> hopefully be presented with nice, user friendly login prompts.
> Everyone is a winner.
>> I'm seeing what Olivier is seeing (although this is a desktop system and
>> not a minimal system).  In my primary desktop, I can hit CTRL-ALT-Fn for
>> n = 1 to 12, and I get no response at all.  It just stays on the same
>> desktop.
> Not sure about that one. Smells like some other bug if it doesn't move.
> Has your keyboard got a special "fn" key that disables the function
> keys? Mine does.

Mine does too (bloody Logitech), but Fn keys are enabled., so it's not
that.  Is there perhaps something I don't have installed that enables
X+dm restart and autovt ?  If autovt were not present or disabled, that
might explain why a second X+dm doesn't start (no available vt) ?