[Mageia-dev] [soft-commits] [3455] update changelog

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:23:20 CET 2012

On 14 March 2012 16:31, Colin Guthrie <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Thierry Vignaud at 14/03/12 15:23 did gyre and gimble:
>> If you fear a server crash, you can use git svn and you've a full compact
>> local backup
>
> As a side note, it would be good to use git more. I think during the
> mga3 timeframe I'll try and look at the git infrastructure with a view
> to moving the various soft/ stuff over to git.

The things is, some translators are used to svn, so switching to git
may not be easy for them.

For dev, it can helps things, keeping unfinished stuff into branches
rather than in patch files that can got lost/forgoten

> Packages I won't even begin to think about (it's too much of a pain)

On contrary, I think this one would be easier since mgarepo is
supposed to hide svn though some packagers know they can
use svn directly.

> but it would be good to have more official and better exposed git
> repositories

other advantages are :

- less used space on the server (disk usage exploded on the
  server when switching from CVS to SVN) ;

- also quite a lot less files on the server too (so less jobs for
  saving & fscking) since cvs used on file per checked file whereas
  svn (as configured in mdv) is using one file per transaction in
  big directories

- full history is backuped locally at relatively little space cost
  (providing git gc is run regularly at least when using git-svn)
  for quite a lot project, disk usage is actually smaller than svn
  that keep a copy of everything in .svn, thus doubling disk usage
  whereas git compressed history can be smaller (not for the full
  drakx history for the last 11+years though :-) )

- quite a lot operations are faster (even if SVN was already an
   improvement over SVN regarding this) due to local requesting
   instead of network requests (eg: log, blame, ...)

> where appropriate, automatic patch generation for some
> packages (for example I use one for the initscripts package and I need
> to be careful to add in patches from others to the "official" git
> repository for it).

At least this one should eventually die, shouldn't it :-) ?