[Mageia-dev] [changelog] [RPM] cauldron core/release gdm-3.4.0.1-1.mga2

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 28 11:06:37 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olav Vitters at 28/03/12 09:54 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:44:57AM +0200, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>> On 28 March 2012 10:32, ovitters <buildsystem-daemon at mageia.org> wrote:
>>> ovitters <ovitters> 3.4.0.1-1.mga2:
>>> + Revision: 227226
>>> - update file list
>>> - remove patches which don't apply
>>
>> hum, those patches came from git.
>> Either they were merged and you should really remove them from spec
>> (not just comment out them) or they should be rediffed.
>
> I checked with Fedora spec and their patches have all been applied in
> 3.4.0.1 (plymouth patch is upstream now). I still want colin to check,
> so left them in as comments.

Cool, I'll have a peak as soon as I can.

>> What's more, you also disable systemd support (--without-systemd)
>> without telling such in the changelog.
>
> Forgot to add a comment.
>
> --without-systemd: colin said it causes issues when booting with
> sysvinit.

It's much more involved than that. It causes problems when booting with
our current X version if it's enabled regardless of init (it might
actually have worked fine when booting in sysvinit mode - if it was
clever about things which it should be I guess!)

Enabling systemd support here enables proper seat enumeration in X, but
our X11 server is too old to support the --seat argument and it's too
late in the day to even think about changing it! Basically it prevents X
starting which certainly isn't fun! When cauldron reopens after mga2 we
can upgrade X and enable full support (and start ripping the old things
out which will be lovely :D)

> For Mageia 2 systemd is optional, not all modules fall back to
> ConsoleKit automatically. So in case a module has issues, better to
> disable it and rely on ConsoleKit even when using systemd.

This isn't really this issue in this case.

But over all, I've been using gdm like this for a good few days now and
it seems fine (tho' I think lock screen background might be messed up
now, but that should be fixable)