[Mageia-dev] Old library packages left on system after upgrade

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 18:07:34 CEST 2012

We know that urpme --auto-orphans doesn't remove all orphaned libraries,
and there are reasons for that.  Manually you generally should be able to
get rid of them, and generally urpmi_rpm-find-leaves will show them.  There
are three I noticed in my upgrade tests that aren't being shown, so they only
way I found them was diffing the installed package list against the list of
RPMS from my mirror.  They are:
libxulrunner9.0.1
libhunspell1.2_0
libnotify1

Also not being shown is libvpx0, which is still on the mirror, but has been
replaced by libvpx1, so the script should be removing libvpx0 from the tree
pretty soon.

I'm guessing these don't show in up in find-leaves because of some inter-
dependencies between them.  Is there anything we can do to fix this?  Of
course it's also a bit unfortunate to be leaving behind these old libraries
that contain security vulnerabilities...