[Mageia-dev] Old library packages left on system after upgrade

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 28 18:11:13 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and David Walser at 28/03/12 17:07 did gyre and gimble:
> We know that urpme --auto-orphans doesn't remove all orphaned libraries,
> and there are reasons for that.  Manually you generally should be able to
> get rid of them, and generally urpmi_rpm-find-leaves will show them.  There
> are three I noticed in my upgrade tests that aren't being shown, so they only
> way I found them was diffing the installed package list against the list of
> RPMS from my mirror.  They are:
> libxulrunner9.0.1
> libhunspell1.2_0
> libnotify1
>
> Also not being shown is libvpx0, which is still on the mirror, but has been
> replaced by libvpx1, so the script should be removing libvpx0 from the tree
> pretty soon.
>
> I'm guessing these don't show in up in find-leaves because of some inter-
> dependencies between them.  Is there anything we can do to fix this?  Of
> course it's also a bit unfortunate to be leaving behind these old libraries
> that contain security vulnerabilities...

urpmq --not-available

This command shows all packages currently installed that are no longer
available via the media.

I pretty much exclusively use this tool to tidy up my systems as the
auto-orphan state always seems to get out of sync for me.