[Mageia-dev] Are you sure? (no confirmation before proceeding to selected packages installation)

Dimitrios Glentadakis dglent at gmail.com
Fri May 4 17:38:26 CEST 2012

Le 4 mai 2012 17:19, "Wolfgang Bornath" <molch.b at googlemail.com> a écrit :

> 2012/5/4 Dimitrios Glentadakis <dglent at gmail.com>:

> >> Well, only too late for mga2, but it can get on wishlist for mga3
> >>
> >> --
> >> Thomas
> >>

> > Another case is when you install in the existing partitions and in the
> > partitioning screen you choose the partitions, /, /home, etc, and you
have
> > checked in the checkbox a partition to be formatted.
> >
> > It seems very logical to me that in this step a confirmation is more
than
> > usefull.
> > Before a 2-3 years there was a brainstorm in mandriva and i had
proposed the
> > usage of confirmation dialogues. I cannot find the link now, but the
answers
> > that i got was like 'you click on OK so you have to be sure', 'no
needed,
> > useless feature' etc.
> >
> > If there will be a brainstorm in mageia, i would like to try to propose
it
> > again.
>
> Do you think you will get a different result? Look at Microsoft.
> People were so annoyed by all these "Are you sure" popups that
> comedians started to refer to these popups in their standup sessions
> ("Do you really want to use the brake pedal?"). AFAIR there hasn't
> been such a popup at the situations you pointed to as long as
> Mandrake/Mandriva existed. I haven't heard anybody complaining about
> this (until today).
> About the selection screens:
>
> For me the first selection screen (KDE - Gnome - Custom) serves the
> new user who wants to get on with the installation without any
> interactive stuff he would not know how to handle it. So the screen
> presents 2 options which will get him a standard system with one
> click. Everybody else is surely able to understand the word "Custom"
> which opens the door to everything else. The next screen offers a
> package selection which allows for installation of whole groups (or
> non-installation). This same screen opens the door to the minimal
> installation options (if you deselect all package groups). It also
> shows the option "Individual package selection".
>
> To me this is a logical procedure (one step following the selection of
> the previous step).
>
> Of course Mageia could put something like "Clicking OK will start the
> installation" below the KDE and Gnome options or something similar.
>
> About the partitioning:
>
> What exactly do you miss there (you have seen the "expert" button?) ?
>
> IMHO there is nothing missing or at presented at the wrong state of
> the installation procedure.
>
> --
> wobo

In the specific case i mentionned, there is a risc of loosing data, so i
think that it is usefull to prevent. Why you are informed when you switch
to expert mode in diskdrake?

Twice i avoided to delete the /home partition. To prevent other users, in
the greek translation i add the 'formatting (delete data)'

For "us" there is no risc. Because we install a system many times. The
scenario that i describe could happen if you do an installation for the
first time or if you are not used to do it often.

Personaly i dont care, it is very clear for me, but i remember my first
time when i "felt" that a confirmation was missing.