[Mageia-dev] Strange system stalls - neep a tip

Robert Fox list at foxconsult.net
Mon May 21 18:11:19 CEST 2012

Hello All -

I am experiencing a strange problem with a specific machine running
Cauldron.  I am beginning to believe it is NOT a Mageia problem because
when I boot into Ubuntu 12.04 the problem exists as well.  I think it
may be hardware related but I can not find what is causing this issue.

The machine is an Acer Aspire x3900 with a quad core ‎AMD Phenom(tm) II
X4 925 Processor - 6GB memory.  GeForce GT215 (GeForce 320) card. I am
running the x86_64 version of Cauldron.

The problem occurs under both KDE and Gnome

Basically, the system seems to freeze up (mouse moves) but nothing else
- gkrellem freezes and no errors occur - it just seems to hang - but
magically wake up again after some time (many seconds at a time)

I have checked various logs and can not find any problems - so I am
stumped how to find the source of the problem.  I leave the machine
running 24x7, but don't think it is a thermal issue.

When the system runs under Windows 7 (64bit) it appears to run fine.

Any hints what I could check?