[Mageia-dev] default $PATH after UsrMove

Luc Menut lmenut at free.fr
Tue Nov 13 22:42:06 CET 2012

Hi,

Le 12/11/2012 12:43, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> 'Twas brillig, and Luc Menut at 11/11/12 18:04 did gyre and gimble:
>> I think that we should drop these dirs from our defaults $PATH, before a
>> future mass rebuild.
>
> Yeah seems sensible.
>
> Col

OK

Currently, we have the following cases in Mageia:
1) login normaluser
    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin

2) /bin/su - normaluser   , ssh normaluser
    PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

3) login root , /bin/su - root  , ssh root

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
(there is only one $PATH for root because it is re-defined in
/root/.bashrc from rootfiles).

So, sometimes we have /usr/local/[s]bin in $PATH before %{_bindir} (2),
sometimes after (3), sometimes it is not in $PATH (1).

Is there any justification to these differences? (personally I don't see
any justification to differences between 1. and 2. )

I don't find if there is some specification (POSIX, LSB, ...) about what
should be in a standard default $PATH, and in which order.

I would prefer if we can unify a bit this, and keep only 2 $PATH, one
for normal user and another one for root.
So should we have /usr/local/[s]bin in default paths ?
If yes, should it be before or after %{_[s]bindir} ?

My proposal for unified $PATH would be :
A) normaluser
    PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin

B) root
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin

Any comments and suggestions welcome !

Regards,
Luc

--