[Mageia-dev] what is this ????

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Sat Nov 24 22:16:40 CET 2012

On 11/24/2012 02:59 PM, AL13N wrote:
> I'm not following 100%, does this mean there are already quite
> specific usecases for this?

This is conceptually no different than someone offering to pay a
developer to engineer a change to a Mageia package for himself. It's
open-source, so what's the problem ?   Unless he tries to distribute it,
there's no violation.

Whether it gets included in the official distribution is up to us.
Whether the developer wants to submit the change to upstream (if there
*is* an upstream) is up to him.  Whether we want to do the same if he
doesn't (assuming we've accepted it) is up to us.

I don't accept that this drains effort away from the distro.  If we had
significant interest in expending our own effort to do whatever he wants
done, we'd have done it.  If we don't, we lose nothing in terms of
community effort by letting him do it.