[Mageia-dev] Any progress on the NFS mount problem? - SOLVED

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:41:33 CEST 2012

Le 01/10/2012 21:55, Anne Wilson a écrit :

> GOT IT!!!
>
> Remembered that you said it would mount as /, to which I don't have
> access of course.
That's not exactly what I said :)

With old NFS versions (2/3), the server exports an actual filesystem
(/home, for instance), which is seen directly by clients with its actual
path (/home, here).

With NFSv4, the server remaps its actual filesystem (/home, for
instance) in a pseudo-filesystem, which is seen by clients as a root
filesystem (/ here). Consider it as some kind of implicit chroot.

With earlier implementations, you had to explicitely mark one of the
filesystem as the root one, and make sure every other filesystem was
reachable from it, using bind mount if needed. You've got some more
detailed explanations here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS

According to official NFS wiki, it seems this is no longer needed, and
than the implementation handle it automagically for you:
http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Nfsv4_configuration#Exporting_directories

>  I removed 'fsid=0', restarted, and all is well.  I
> can see all my data!
Well, you'd better check if you're actually using NFSv4, and not a older
version, if you want optimal performances.

--
BOFH excuse #314:

You need to upgrade your VESA local bus to a MasterCard local bus.