[Mageia-dev] Any progress on the NFS mount problem? - SOLVED

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 2 03:31:15 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 01/10/12 21:41 did gyre and gimble:
> With NFSv4, the server remaps its actual filesystem (/home, for
> instance) in a pseudo-filesystem, which is seen by clients as a root
> filesystem (/ here). Consider it as some kind of implicit chroot.
>
> With earlier implementations, you had to explicitely mark one of the
> filesystem as the root one, and make sure every other filesystem was
> reachable from it, using bind mount if needed. You've got some more
> detailed explanations here:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS
>
> According to official NFS wiki, it seems this is no longer needed, and
> than the implementation handle it automagically for you:
> http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Nfsv4_configuration#Exporting_directories
>

>>  I removed 'fsid=0', restarted, and all is well.  I
>> can see all my data!
> Well, you'd better check if you're actually using NFSv4, and not a older
> version, if you want optimal performances.

FWIW, I found I needed fsid=0 on my media center's chroot export when
using an NFS root boot (server + client both mga2).

Without fsid=0 root was mapped to 65534 which caused numerous issues
when booting :)

Never did work out the full reasons, so I probably need to read those
specs a bit.