[Mageia-dev] Any progress on the NFS mount problem? - SOLVED

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Oct 2 09:46:47 CEST 2012

On 02/10/12 02:31, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Guillaume Rousse at 01/10/12 21:41 did gyre and
> gimble:
>> With NFSv4, the server remaps its actual filesystem (/home, for
>> instance) in a pseudo-filesystem, which is seen by clients as a
>> root filesystem (/ here). Consider it as some kind of implicit
>> chroot.
>>
>> With earlier implementations, you had to explicitely mark one of
>> the filesystem as the root one, and make sure every other
>> filesystem was reachable from it, using bind mount if needed.
>> You've got some more detailed explanations here:
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS
>>
>> According to official NFS wiki, it seems this is no longer
>> needed, and than the implementation handle it automagically for
>> you:
>> http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Nfsv4_configuration#Exporting_directories

I removed 'fsid=0', restarted, and all is well.  I
>>> can see all my data!
>> Well, you'd better check if you're actually using NFSv4, and not
>> a older version, if you want optimal performances.
>
> FWIW, I found I needed fsid=0 on my media center's chroot export
> when using an NFS root boot (server + client both mga2).
>
> Without fsid=0 root was mapped to 65534 which caused numerous
> issues when booting :)
>
> Never did work out the full reasons, so I probably need to read
> those specs a bit.

Hmm - haven't tried rebooting since I got it going last thing
yesterday.  Perhaps the trick is to make another mount with fsid=0?
I'll play with this and your other suggestion in a day or two, when
I've got over the novelty of having things working again :-D

Strange, though, that things were so different in CentOS and
Scientific Linux, both of which claimed to be using nfs4.  That's what
caused my confusion.

Anne
- --
Need KDE help? Try