[Mageia-dev] Problem with NetworkManager and system wide connections

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Oct 15 11:18:30 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Sander Lepik at 15/10/12 09:47 did gyre and gimble:
> Hey!
>
> I have some very stupid problem on Mageia 2 with NM. I created system
> wide connection so that it gets connected at boot time. Now if wifi
> happens to drop for some reason, NM won't reconnect and asks for *root*
> password. Search results so long show that i'm not the only one having
> that problem. And some suggest to add my user to network group. I think
> it's a bad idea and in Mageia we have solved such problems better. Any
> ideas how can i avoid that root password prompt?

Hmm, it's a polkit auth dialog if i'm not mistaken. I've never had to
enter the root password, just my user password, but I guess if it's a
system wide connection then the root password makes sense here.

We could of course tweak the default polkit policy here to not require
that, but is that wise in and off itself? e.g. you wouldn't want a
student to reconfigure the terminals in a university network without
authorisation. It should likely be tied to security levels in some capacity.