[Mageia-dev] cinelerra (war Re: rehashing the faac issue)

PhilippeDidier philippedidier at laposte.net
Wed Oct 31 20:00:23 CET 2012

Christiaan Welvaart a écrit :
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

>>> Isn't cinelerra licensed under the GPLv2+, which means we are not
>>> allowed to distribute binaries linked against a non-free library? It
>>> looks like the faac discussion is not painful but completely useless.
>> I wasn't aware of such kind of restriction, but it reminds me of
>> similar cases in the past. Anyway, faac isn't only used for cinelerra,
>> and even if we can't distribute it, having one less ancestor to
>> rebuild manually is still a gain.
>
> We are not going to carry faac just for convenience to build
> applications locally. Handbrake, another application that supposedly
> needs faac, is also GPL licensed so cannot be distributed linked against
> faac. Arista in mageia supports encoding AAC without faac.
> Audiokonverter appears to use mplayer for encoding so it should be able
> to use ffmpeg for AAC. Anything else?
>

>     Christiaan

You're wrong about audiokonverter :
it uses faac to encode into *.aac files
I proposed the two patches to have it in Mageia:
one to build it without using lame and faac for core repo (patent
problem for both of them)
one to build it with using lame but without using faac for tainted repo
(as soon as faac is not provided)
NB for my personal use I packaged audiokonverter without patch, and
installed faac from blogdrake's repo !

About Arista :
I tried Arista to create an *.aac file : it complains about missing
elements...
Could you really create *.aac files ? or did you only read what it is
supposed to do.
Arista uses gstreamer... and, in Mageia, gstreamer-plugins in tainted
are built without faac, I wonder what is missing on my computer to be
able to do what you did !!!

About Cinelerra and Handbrake : everything is GPL licensed except the
ISO specification they need to be built ...
provided as bundled in hanbrake (reason why it was banned from
Mageia-tainted)
 and required as BuildRequire : faac-devel for cinelerra, preventing to
build it for Mageia

And Yes absolutely there's a contamination with a non-free source (how
the hell an ISO MPEG4 norma could be GPL ?!!!! )
For example : is UTF8 GPL ? is ISO-8859 GPL : nevertheless you use these
nonGPL specifications to read this thread in your webbrowser)

I don't know actually how to create *.aac files or *.mp4 files with
Mageia... if you help me I will be happy...

Philippe