[Mageia-dev] cinelerra (war Re: rehashing the faac issue)

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 31 20:20:49 CET 2012

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, PhilippeDidier wrote:

> Christiaan Welvaart a écrit :
>> We are not going to carry faac just for convenience to build
>> applications locally. Handbrake, another application that supposedly
>> needs faac, is also GPL licensed so cannot be distributed linked against
>> faac. Arista in mageia supports encoding AAC without faac.
>> Audiokonverter appears to use mplayer for encoding so it should be able
>> to use ffmpeg for AAC. Anything else?

> You're wrong about audiokonverter :
> it uses faac to encode into *.aac files

I don't know what .aac files are (format), will check.

> I proposed the two patches to have it in Mageia:

Saw that in the bugreport (:

> About Arista :
> I tried Arista to create an *.aac file : it complains about missing
> elements...
> Could you really create *.aac files ? or did you only read what it is
> supposed to do.
I only tried to transcode video with aac audio track, not audio only.

> Arista uses gstreamer... and, in Mageia, gstreamer-plugins in tainted
> are built without faac, I wonder what is missing on my computer to be
> able to do what you did !!!
libavcodec from tainted and gstreamer-ffmpeg/gstreamer-libav
    - this depends on libvo-aacenc
+ arista 0.9.7-4

> About Cinelerra and Handbrake : everything is GPL licensed except the
> ISO specification they need to be built ...
> provided as bundled in hanbrake (reason why it was banned from
> Mageia-tainted)
> and required as BuildRequire : faac-devel for cinelerra, preventing to
> build it for Mageia
>
> And Yes absolutely there's a contamination with a non-free source (how
> the hell an ISO MPEG4 norma could be GPL ?!!!! )
AFAIK it's code, not the standard itself

     Christiaan