[Mageia-dev] Update of the rpm group policy

Pierre-Malo Deniélou pierre-malo.denielou at rhul.ac.uk
Sat Sep 8 02:13:22 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I'm writing about the current rpm group policy:
http://wiki.mageia.org/en/RPM_groups_policy

In this list, there are some groups that contain only a handful of
packages while some others are in the hundreds. It sometimes makes it
very hard to use rpmdrake (or other tools) to browse the packages. It is
not a bug per se, but rather an interface issue, particularly with
inexperienced users.

My interest lies in particular in the Development/Other group. It is
currently a mess, mixing up programming tools with libraries and
compilers for the non-major programming languages. Among them, there are
now 300 packages for OCaml-related packages. I propose we create a
Development/OCaml group for them.
I also noticed that despite our policy not having a Development/Tools
rpm group, some packages started using it (I guess because Fedora and
Suse have a Development/Tools group). I think this is a good idea and we
could move there various tools currently in Development/Other like cvs,
subversion (and all vcs), valgrind, make, autoconf, etc.

If you agree, I will amend our
http://wiki.mageia.org/en/RPM_groups_policy
with these two changes
and get in touch with the appropriate packagers/maintainers to do the
group change (which is a trivial spec change).

Thanks,
--
Malo