[Mageia-dev] Real Time Kernel version

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Mon Sep 17 10:16:50 CEST 2012

Jehan Pagès skrev 16.9.2012 21:20:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question. Is there a reason why the Real Time version of the
> kernel is always under the desktop version?
> I just checked and installed both the last desktop kernel and rt
> kernel from Cauldron here:
> ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64/media/core/release/
> Kernel desktop is 3.5.3 but Real Time is 3.4.9.

That's because upstream -rt project is only tracking -longterm kernels

so currently 3.0, 3.2 and 3.4

https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

> My main problem is that the support of the Wacom Intuos 5 tablet
> exists only since the Kernel 3.5. I just tested on Mageia 2 (normal
> one, I only installed the new kernels from Cauldron). It works with
> the desktop kernel 3.5.3, not with the 3.4.9 rt kernel.

Well, Mga2 will get upgraded to 3.4 longterm kernel soon, so maybe
we should look into backporting the Intuos 5 tablet support to
3.4 series... then I could add it to the -rt kernel too.

> So that would be nice to support a 3.5 real time kernel in Mageia 3. :-)

Well, there is no decision what the release kernel for mga3 will be yet,
but I assume something like 3.7-3.9... depending of upstream kernel.org
releases... and no idea what version -rt will support by then....

--
Thomas