[Mageia-dev] new fonts?

Liam R E Quin liam at w3.org
Sat Sep 29 03:18:56 CEST 2012

On Sat, 2012-09-29 at 03:23 +0300, Anssi Hannula wrote:

> 3) Fix the issue. Fedora actually has DejaVu fonts as default with
> higher priority and Liberation fonts with a lower priority.

Makes sense.

[...]

> It'd be really nice if someone looked over our font packages and fonts
> config stuff and compared them to Fedora stuff, we may have yet more
> WTFs in there...

I'm not in a position to do that, sorry. But the Fedora font project has
been quite active in the past.

I wish we had a more fine-grained way to install/uninstall fonts:
$ fc-list|wc -l
2489
but adding 2,000+ packages isn't the way to go.

FontMatrix has ways to activate/deactivate fonts, but is not included at
least in the Mageia 1 that I have here.

Fonts, themes, background images, legal music files :-) and other
resources could do with a way to manage them at a per-user and
per-project level. This is a more general topic than Mageia is likely to
solve I think :)

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ - the barefoot typographer