[Mageia-dev] M3 beta - where to report problems?

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon Apr 8 20:41:12 CEST 2013

On 08/04/13 18:28, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 04/08/2013 12:52 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Something very odd is happening, indeed.  Remember this was a
>> functioning system before I did the updates.
>>
>> Rebooting, nothing has changed.  I get grub, lots of disk
>> activity led flickering, but no output to the screen, with or
>> without Esc.  I can boot into Safe moade, which lands me in
>> Rescue Mode - but I haven't a clue what to do next.
>>

> If you don't even get text mode, this sounds like the old problem
> of radeon drivers which require nonfree firmware not having the
> firmware available.  There was a long stretch where, if you had
> such a card, you needed to install with the x11 vesa driver, boot,
> install the firmware, and then use XFdrake to switch to the radeon
> driver.
>
> Do you have a card that uses the radeon driver ?  If so, did you
> enable nonfree during the upgrade ?
>
> You can try the following:
>
> 1) Boot the rescue system 2) drvinst 3) mount your root as /mnt 4)
> do a "mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev 5) do a "chroot /mnt" 6) do a
> "mount -t proc none /proc" 7) do a "mount -t sysfs none /sys" 8) do
> "XFdrake" 9) choose the x11 VESA or VGA driver (way down at bottom
> of list) 10) reboot and see if TTY mode now works
>
> If it does, then add nonfree as a urpmi repository and install the
> nonfree radeon firmware package.  Then run XFdrake in the real
> system to set yourself back to the radeon driver that XFdrake
> should default to.
>
> If you're not using radeon, you may want to do (1) - (10) anyway
> just to see if your system works with the basic driver.

No, it doesn't.  When I ran XFdrake the test did display colours,
though at a resolution I wouldn't want to work with :-)  However, on
reboot I still have a backlit black screen.

I'm sure you are on the right track.  It's not radeon, though, it's
Intel 810 and later.  I see that listed in XFdrake, but if I try to
use it I'm told that there are no screens.  Not sure what that means,
though.

When booting into rescue, I saw several items listed as "Intel
Corporation:NM10/ICH7 Family" which sounds right to me.

So - I need Intel drivers (and firmware).  Can I use the same rescue
processes to get the Internet working so that I can download them?

Odd, though, that even VESA didn't work.

Anne