[Mageia-dev] [RFC] rsyslog vs journalctl

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 8 11:00:31 CET 2013

'Twas brillig, and AL13N at 07/02/13 18:43 did gyre and gimble:
> Op donderdag 7 februari 2013 15:10:43 schreef Guillaume Rousse:
>> Le 07/02/2013 14:40, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
>>> Is anyone against the name "system-logger"? If so I'll update things
>>> accordingly. Other name suggestions welcome.
>>
>> Fine with me.
>
> that's fine.
>
> i just mentioned this because iirc lennart at his talk in FOSDEM said that
> journald didn't do remote syslogging

Yup, for remote syslogging you still want a syslog. There are various
things you can do with the journal remotely (e.g. you can mount remote
journals via NFS to a single machine and then read all the logs in via
the -m command to journalctl, or you can use the journal gatewayd to get
a nice web interface to the logs on remote machines. There will be
further efforts to do networking with the journal, but due to the fact
it carries a lot more metadata than plain syslog, it cannot go directly
via syslog protocol anyway.

But yeah, if you want remote syslog logging, just install rsyslog or
similar :)